Our research shows that initial impressions are made within the first minute of an employment interview. You can make a positive first impression if you:
- Bring a fresh copy of your resume. Your resume should be outstanding.
- Bring a smart attache case or a professional binder and a fine quality pen.
- Start the interview with good eye contact and maintain it throughout the interview. Eye contact is key. You will benefit greatly from looking them in the eye.
- Wear professional business attire, preferably a dark blue, gray or black suit with understated accessories and jewelry. Make sure your clothing is meticulously clean and color coordinated. Shoes polished.
- Create a more polished appearance by being well groomed with neat hair and nails (go ahead and treat yourself to a haircut or a manicure before the interview).
- Make sure you have a firm handshake.